[AMRadio] W7RT

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 12 04:58:16 EST 2006

If anyone needed to know anymore about W7RT, this should sum it up...

-Geoff/W5OMR
----------------

    Candidate Statement of Richard (Rick) L. Tannehill - W7RT

I was first licensed in 1961 (KN7PSU) as a teenage Novice. I upgraded
later to Conditional, and the next year to General. I became an Extra in
1966. Ham radio launched me on a technical electronics career as it did
many others of that era. I obtained  an engineering degree, and spent
four years designing airborne  radar. Since 1973, I have worked as a
public safety communications engineer, engineering manager, and
consulting engineer. Much of this work parallels my amateur radio hobby.
As  a result of this work, I have made many acquaintances in the FCC who
have been helpful in supporting the much needed changes to our
hobby/service.

Learning code the norm back in 1961 as it was still the primary mode of
amateur communications. It was still the international  mode of choice
for emergency/disaster communications then. But, much has changed since
that time. VHF/UHF FM repeaters are the most popular mode of hams today.
CW is far back in the pack now,  with other digital modes. No other
radio service utilizes CW as a primary mode of communications in the
world. I believe that CW is no more or less important to amateur
communications than these other digital modes. The emphasis placed on a
pass/fail morse CW exam is far out of proportion to its importance
today. The time has come to first reduce, then eliminate that special
emphasis.

I believe we are going to lose all youth interest in ham radio if we do
not eliminate morse CW as a pass/fail testing. If not done, this will
have a catastrophic effect on our hobby/service, as those young people
that would ordinarily gravitate toward careers in RF communications,
will go into other fields instead. Also, with the graying of the ham
population, fewer hams will be available for traditional public service
ham activities. Elimination of morse CW testing will also take away a
major stumbling block to the many otherwise qualified individuals who
want to join our ranks.

As a result of morse testing situation, when the opportunity presented
itself to become an appointed Director of NCI, I immediately volunteered
my services. Since that time, I have dedicated a large number of hours
of my time assisting in filings, position papers, and NCI bylaws which
have defined the organization to date. Just as I am proud to be a life
member of the ARRL, and a member of APCO, I am also proud of NCI and
what it has accomplished in its short history. But the work is not done.
There is much yet to do. If re-elected, I will continue to work for
morse test speed reduction in all nations. I will also work for
suppression, then removal of article S25.5 in the ITU treaty to allow
each nation to decide it's own requirements for amateur licensing. If
required, I will then work with the FCC to eliminate pass/fail morse
testing in the American exams.

I cannot guarantee early success in these matters. But the trend is
clear, and I can guarantee my dedication to this cause until it is
accomplished. We will win; it is just a matter of time. Therefore, I ask
for your sustaining vote to continue as an NCI Director for the next two
years.