[AMRadio] The backroom boys

Larry Will lhwill at verizon.net
Sat Jan 14 12:58:52 EST 2006

Hello all,

Its time to end all this "stuff" on here and get back to
technology.  The place to make your voice heard whatever your option
is, is  the FCC formal comment process. HOWEVER, as one who has
commented in numerous FCC proceedings in other matters, poorly
written comments or statements not backed up by facts, suggestions
without ameans of implementation, or just pain ranting makes its way
into the circular file.  Remember the legal folks at the FCC decide
what ultimately happens and a lot depends on whether:

1: the commission has to implement a new usually unfunded process
which rarely happens.

2: the proposal, if implemented, causes the staff more work (NO also).

3: a proposal is contrary to either US law or FCC policy or international law.

4: If this RM becomes a NPRM, there will be two more opportunities to
comment.  At this point, comments only are used in influencing the
FCC staff to take the proposal to the next step, i.e. is this
item  (the term the FCC uses) worth bothering with and spending
limited internal resources from the FCC's perspective.

Also, we should all remember that ALL federal agencies are under a
congressional mandate to eliminate all unnecessary regulations even
though sometimes I wonder if that really happens.

Finally there are federal political forces that often skew
policy.  BPL comes to mind.
Basically only law and economics matter at the FCC level.  Technology
in recent years takes a back seat although former Chairman Powell
hired the first new engineers in a long time.

put your energy in the federal process and not on the reflector - please.

Larry W3LW