[AMRadio] Coleman Powermate "Cold Heat" Soldering iron review

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 10:50:47 EST 2006

Years ago I had a portable soldering iron that had a conventional tip
and an internal rechargable battery.  It was about the same size as
the "cold heat" iron, but it was a conventional, battery powered
soldering iron and it worked GREAT.  It came with a charging stand and
I never ran it down.  Dont know where it is now...lost in the garage I
suppose.

On 1/15/06, George KB2Z <Thermionic_Emission at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
> 2 amps at 4 1/2 VDC sounds like a lot of juice.
> George KB2Z
>

> At 10:05 AM 1/15/06, you wrote:
>

> >   Hi All,
> >
> >     I received one of these soldering irons for Christmas. I've long seen
> >the ads, and wondered if this device would be a useful addition to my ham
> >shack. They take 3 "AA" batteries, and I had 3 freshly charged 2000 ma / hr
> >NIMH batteries handy. The device appears to have a graphite split tip such
> >that no current flows until something conductive is put into the gap. I
> >tried solder, and had to wiggle it around to make connection, and then yes
> >it did melt briefly until the blob fell out opening the current path. Next
> >step was to solder something. I tried to unsolder a wire from a PCB. I had
> >to change angle to get the connection, and the pad warmed, cooled, warmed,
> >cooled as I moved the iron to regain the connection. After about 30 seconds,
> >no more heat...just cold heat I guess. I looked at the tip, and plastic from
> >the tip mount had melted and filled the gap between the graphite elements.
> >The tip was shot!
> >
> >    Right now my Coleman soldering iron is in the trash can alongside my
> >Tornado fuel saver. %^$^%$*^&^%*$*$
> >
> >Don't waste your money on this soldering iron...
> >
> >Regards,
> >Jim Candela
> >WD5JKO
> >--
> >AM List Admin: Brian Sherrod/w5ami, Paul Courson/wa3vjb

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."