[AMRadio] Coleman Powermate "Cold Heat" Soldering iron review

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 15 14:07:41 EST 2006

>From: "Jim candela" <jcandela at prodigy.net>

>Don't waste your money on this soldering iron...

I recall seeing a soldering iron demo at Datyon one year,  that used liquid
fuel, something like lighter fluid, that contained a miniature blowtorch
that heated a real honest-to-God copper soldering tip.  It took it only a
few seconds warm up, and worked just like an electric soldering iron. It was
about the same size as 150-watt electric job.  That's what I thought of
first upon hearing about a "Coleman soldering iron."

I have actually tried to solder using the same technique as the one
described earlier, when the tip on my Weller soldering gun would break it
two.  I had almost identical results.  Ended up making an emergency
replacement tip out of a piece of #10 or #12 bare copper wire.

like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/