[AMRadio] Re: Your comments about AM

peter markavage manualman at juno.com
Mon Jan 16 17:09:44 EST 2006

Cell Phone History - 2 meters isn't mentioned:
http://www.cellular4.com/phone/history.htm
Briefly:
"AT&T's research arm, Bell Laboratories, introduced the idea of cellular
communications in 1947. But Motorola and Bell Labs in the sixties and
early seventies were in a race to incorporate the technology into
portable devices.

Martin Cooper, known by many as the father of the cellular phone. Hired
by Motorola in 1954, Mr. Cooper worked on developing portable products,
including the first portable handheld police radios, made for the Chicago
police department in 1967. He then led Motorola's cellular research.

On April 3, 1973, at a public demonstration and using a heavy 30-ounce
phone, Martin Cooper placed the first cell phone call to his rival at
AT&T's Bell Labs from the streets of New York City. Mr. Cooper commented,
"As I walked down the street while talking on the phone, sophisticated
New Yorkers gaped at the sight of someone actually moving around while
making a phone call. Remember that in 1973, there weren't cordless
telephones, let alone cellular phones. I made numerous calls, including
one where I crossed the street while talking to a New York radio reporter
- probably one of the more dangerous things I have ever done in my life."

Lots more info on cell phone history; just google it.

Pete, wa2cwa