[AMRadio] Re: Your comments about AM

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Mon Jan 16 17:27:04 EST 2006

That's interesting Pete, but as I was told by someone at Motorola in the
early 70s that ATT was prevented from manufacturing the equipment and
selling it by the FCC because ATT provided the service.  In those days, the
FCC was death on monopolies.

At this point I am not sure, but believe they formed some sort of deal with
Motorola to manufacture the equipment.  It was also my understanding that
the first system was installed in Chicago for testing purposes, the NYC
system and Washington DC followed.  DC of course to impress lawmakers.  Is
this a form of lobbying?

73  Jim
W5JO