[AMRadio] Web page appears in opposition to RM-11305

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 16 17:53:17 EST 2006

>From: "Brian Carling" <bcarling at cfl.rr.com>

>On 16 Jan 2006 at 11:22, bud chiller wrote:
>
> >  IARU does not
> > allow phone emissions below 7050Khz in region 2!
>
>I am just trying to understand all of this...
>Why do we have Canadian and Mexican SSB signals all
>over 7030 - 7060 kHz NOW if they are not allowed to do it?
>
>We're drifting downward in frequency here from AM concerns
>I know, but it IS related for those of us who work both AM AND
>CW.

The IARU band plan say no phone below 7050.  Obviously the Canadian and
Mexican hams, plus who knows what other countries south of the border, are
not following the plan.  The IARU does not have any enforcement power.  The
band plan is merely a suggestion, not a legal restriction.  Canada and (I
assume) Mexico have no emission subband limitations; they can legally
transmit phone all the way down to 7000.  The US is the only country in the
region (and is suspect the world) that PROHIBITS phone below 7150.

Another aspect of the problem is the US licence class subband structure.
7000-7025 is limited to extra class only, so non-extra US hams can work cw
only from 7025 up, and the cw activity rarely goes above 7040 or 7050, so
for all practical purposes US Advanced and General class ops are limited to
a very narrow segment just above 7025 for cw operation.

Since the US Extra class cw requirement has been reduced to the 5 wpm Novice
level, and there is no longer any distinction in the code requirement for
Extra, Advanced, General or Novice, what is the point of continuing to set
aside an exclusive 25 kc/s segment for Extra class cw?

In Region 1 (Europe) the entire 40m band is only 7000-7100, except for some
recently opened limited use of 7100-7200.  Hopefully the broacast issue we
be resolved and 7100-7200 will eventually become exclusive amateur
worldwide.

-k4kyv

like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/