[AMRadio] 32V-2 speech amp question

John Coleman ARS WA5BXO wa5bxo2005 at pctechref.com
Sun Jan 22 11:03:13 EST 2006

	I have not driven it externally before Craig but have some
experience with the circuitry and the driver XFMR is a weak link in the
circuit the XFMR barely has enough iron and coupling coefficiency in it
to pass the low frequencies that the rig is designed for.  As a matter
of fact if the cathode resistor of the driver stage drops in resistance,
as they or known to do with heat, the driver plate current will quickly
saturate the driver XFMR causing the bass frequencies to look like a
trapezoid instead of sine wave.  If you were going to go with and
outboard amplifier I would include a better driver XFMR as part of the
external circuit and go to the grids directly.

John
Coleman