[AMRadio] Happy as a Clam

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 11:12:49 EST 2006

On 1/25/06, Mark Foltarz <Foltarz at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Well I had a very nice surprise tonight.
>
> I was able to  make a QSO from Tampa to the Elmac net ostensibly in Pigeon,
> Michigan and points near.
>
> We had a cheeseburger at the Sonic and then I asked the YL if she wanted to do
> something boring.... We ended up at the beach on the St. Pete side of the Gandy
> bridge.

Sounds great, Mark. Didn't know you were back down in Tampa, when did
you get there? I spent 8 days there between Christmas and New Years,
would've been good to catch up with you. That makes twice now, maybe
next time?

I get confused as to which bridge is which (haven't been over them
enough): is the Gandy the same one that has the two huge towers
straddling it on the west side?

> I was even more surprised to make a solid contact with Mike N8ECR with 40 watts
> from my car. Thats about 1300 miles.

Yes, but that that area over there looks like a perfect place to
launch signals from. Flat topography and plenty of salt water. Did you
contact them via AM or crossmode?

> Also heard was KA2J Dave and WB8TOW Steve.

Steve (minus the B) was blasting into the northeast this morning,
heard him pretty well yesterday too. Today he was talking with Bruce,
W1UJR who was also strapping in here. Enjoyed their conversation about
HROs, NC-240s and homebrew rigs.

I'd be curious to hear about your AM experiences in Tampa and the
level of activity down that way. It looks like I'll be joining you in
the area later this year.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ