[AMRadio] ARRL Bashing

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sun Jan 29 17:34:59 EST 2006

With all this attention, no wonder you do all you can on these forums to
support the ARRL.  I, too have made contact with my director and vice
director via email and have received positive responses to my queries.  My
director is a man of few words but very responsive to questions.  I salute
him for his effort.  He also voted against submitting RM 11306 to the FCC.
He, too, writes emails to us here in division.

But this is only two of them.  I have seen others on this reflector relate
problems with their director.  So if only two of  15 have positive praise,
then some are behind the curve.  I had contact with my director when I lived
in another division a couple of years ago.  That director was the direct
opposite of what I have now.

Some will say this is democratic action, but I don't believe many of the
directors took the same outlook the one I have did.  Sadly many members
don't do computer, don't go to all the hamfests, so naturally those who have
been left out, feel as if the ARRL BoD is being self important and
supporting a very small minority of amateurs.

Since the Amateur bands are supposed to be partially for experimentation,
why have any limits on emission types at all in a portion of the bands so
new creations would have space to try new experiments.  Since the 50s the
FCC has determined the type, width and power we could utilize.  Should there
be a portion of the bands where a ham with a new idea could try it by simply
notifying the FCC what he (they) are doing?  Would this not let the digital
mode test simultaneous data and voice transmissions?  Let it be a portion of
the band where true experimentation can be completed with minimal
regulation.

I am not sure, I fully support RM 11305 for some of the reasons you have
stated eloquently, but I see it as the best alternative; therefore I am in
favor of it.  If we are to be an experimental group, give a portion of the
band where experiments can be performed without interference from the ARRL
or FCC.  Reduce the CW portion, since digital signals today are so narrow
move them down the bands then create at portion for experimental purposes.
Then expand the phone bands.  This isn't going to happen so I support RM
11305 because it opens the bands to more activity to the greatest number of
operators.

73  Jim
W5JO