[AMRadio] AM Transmitter Advice??

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 15:46:26 EST 2006

On 1/30/06, W1EOF <w1eof at hamnutz.com> wrote:

> I agree with Larry. I've been collecting the pieces for a 813x2 desktop amp
> for awhile now. I'm almost ready to begin.

Hmmm... interesting. I actually have a nice horizontally-mounted CW
813 transmitter sitting up over the garage. I wonder what it would
take to add a modulator?  I chuffed it into a Globe King cabinet
because I wanted to use the rack for something else, and there it
sits.

Yesterday while I was playing around at building a "homebrew" (ala Don
Chester) 40 meter dipole, I was listening on 40 to a few guys
discussing the venerable 813. One of them was Tom M...Marcellano?
W3BYM (I think). He's written a fair number of articles for ER as I
recall, probably a few about 813 rigs. I think he said it was his
favorite tube and had nothing but praise for it. At least one of the
other guys either had or was running a 813 rig also. Wish now that I'd
paid more attention, but it might've resulted in soldering my finger
instead of the antenna.

Has anyone ever mounted them horizontally to save space? I can't
remember if it's a single tube or a pair. Sure is compact. Power
supply is in the garage because it was too heavy to haul upstairs.
Looks like a Beastly 610 transformer on the chassis.

As an aside, I think K1JJ Tom is still building a rig with a pair of
813s blown through Dietz lantern globes as chimneys. There were
pictures of it on amfone not long ago.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ