[AMRadio] 813 question

Ed Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Tue Jan 31 17:28:57 EST 2006

Brett,

Those 813's are practically indestructable --- and I should know, too,
having used them in my amplifier for some 16 years now (only had to replace
the tubes ONCE!...and we're talking surplus/Hamfest jugs here, too)...

I have examples here of BOTH the graphite AND metal plates --- NO IDEA how
the metal plate versions retained the same "813" number --- it CAN'T
possibly be the same tube! --- but it has.

I have yet to use the metal ones, though...

Never could understand why guys spend the big $$$ for tubes --- albeit
modern, low drive, efficient ones --- when rugged, bargain basement bottles
like the 813 still abound...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ