[AMRadio] 813 question

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Tue Jan 31 18:56:35 EST 2006

Eddy,
My latest rig is a pair of 4D32 tubes, since I got 4 new ones at $20.00
each. I have run them at 1000 volts, and 1200, even tried 1500 volts,
they give about 300 watts out at 1200 volts...

My normal rig is a pair of 812A's, most were $5.00 at fests,
and I get 300 watts out of them at 1500 volts, no color on the plates.

Some of the 813's I have I got out of homebrew amps I got at fests,
$25.00 for the entire thing.(it looked really nasty)

The 813's have to be king though, 2000 or 2200 volts, and
600 watts out is easy, they seem to modulate well with a choke
and a big dropping resistor from a low voltage supply for the screens.
I use a screen protection circuit in all the screen grid tubes,
which may be why they last.

I have a blower that pulls air in from a filter and blows it out
around the bases of the tubes, in case I want to push things.

Great working tubes, a lot of bang for the buck, and I like the
lower voltage they can run at, you can do 1000 volts, 1500, or 2000 or even
2500 volts!

Brett
N2DTS