[AMRadio] RE: Value of Homebrew Rigs,

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 14:07:51 EDT 2006

Don is spot on, his comments reflect my experiences as well.

On 7/4/06, Brett gazdzinski <brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com> wrote:
> I can see that people would not want a homebrew
> rig, but I think fewer and fewer people are building,
> yet people want a higher power radio.

The problem with 'most' folks who don't homebrew or build is that they
aren't interested in HB rigs either: only commercially built with name
recognition. Which is why a clean KW-1 will routinely bring in the
$22K-$27K range and an equally clean, well built/heavier designed HB
transmitter does well to bring $500. It may sound better, even make
more power and look better, but it's still homebrew. The KW-1 is an
excellent transmitter, but think what you could build for even a
quarter of their selling price. Especially with the broadcast iron
floating around today.

I have a few HB transmitters here from decades past. Incredible
attention to detail, layout and construction that rivals commercial
units. Truly beautiful rigs in open-frame, black wrinkle racks loaded
with round meters and knobs. I picked up 3 for $100 and doubt I could
get much more than that for most of the parts. In terms of functioning
history, they are priceless to me. But then, I'm crazy. Just ask
anyone who knows me. (o:

de Todd,  KA1KAQ