[AMRadio] Re: Value of Homebrew Rigs, WAS: Stuff for sale...update.

Radio Station W5AMI ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 15:03:50 EDT 2006

True Todd.  Still makes me wonder why a 1kw Gates or RCA (and similar)
BC units will sell for 1/5 the cost of a KW-1 these days.  Not that I
want them too mind you ;)  But they are certainly "brand names", and
built a lot healthier (a new term for "big iron" I made up) than a
KW-1 in my opinion.  Of course you still have to mod them a bit to get
on the ham bands, but paying 1/5 the price makes that little chore a
no brainer.

Bottom line is that I would not pay any more for a KW-1 than I would
for an equal condition BC transmitter and the same would apply to a
"healthy", well built HB rig.

But, I'm not a collector...

73,
Brian