[AMRadio] Re: Value of Homebrew Rigs,

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Thu Jul 6 16:12:36 EDT 2006

> Bottom line is that I would not pay any more for a KW-1 than
> I would for an equal condition BC transmitter and the same
> would apply to a "healthy", well built HB rig.

It's 100% "snob factor".

Not that the KW-1 isn't a very pretty and fine Collins transmitter (duly
modified).  As someone else suggested, one could build a beefier transmitter
-- even using completely new Dahl iron, for the fraction of the cost of a
KW-1, that would work better and most likely sound better. Or you could run
a Ranger and Johnson KW for considerably less investment.

But then -- you wouldn't be a member of the small group running a KW-1.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'd ever get one up the front stairs  :-)

Grant/NQ5T