[AMRadio] Re: Value of Homebrew Rigs,

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 17:04:58 EDT 2006

On 7/6/06, Grant Youngman <nq5t at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Bottom line is that I would not pay any more for a KW-1 than
> > I would for an equal condition BC transmitter and the same
> > would apply to a "healthy", well built HB rig.
>
> It's 100% "snob factor".

As far as the price goes, I'd pretty much agree. But the one area that
the KW-1 certainly outperforms a BC transmitter Brian, is in the area
of bandswitching. 160-10 with the snap of a knob and simple retuning
of two controls (bias adjustment excepted). Might not be as easy to
make a BC transmitter into a 160-10 rig, but for the price you could
have one on each band. The power company must love us.....

> Not that the KW-1 isn't a very pretty and fine Collins transmitter (duly
> modified).  As someone else suggested, one could build a beefier transmitter
> -- even using completely new Dahl iron, for the fraction of the cost of a
> KW-1, that would work better and most likely sound better. Or you could run
> a Ranger and Johnson KW for considerably less investment.

The Desk KWs seem to run between $2K-$6K pretty consistently. Of
course, 400 or so were built as opposed to 150 + 2 prototypes. And
Rangers are as common as flies, so why not? The Desk uses a very
similar electrical design (same guy designed both) right down to the
4-250s, 810 modulators, and the same mod iron. And if you get the
actual desk attachment, it doubles as furniture. (o:

> But then -- you wouldn't be a member of the small group running a KW-1.

It would be nice if more of the collector-owners would actually fire
them up. I'm a firm believer that bragging rights for a strapping
signal far outweigh those of a pretty box. There are a number here on
the east coast that can be heard regularly. Not sure about the other
100+ that are accounted for. Parker W1YG had 6 of the KW-1s last I
knew, but I've never heard him on the air.

> I'm still trying to figure out how I'd ever get one up the front stairs  :-)

They come apart, Grant. RF/PA deck is the largest section next to the
cabinet. Plate iron is the heaviest piece. Check out W0YVA's pages, he
has pix of himself and Howard Mills installing one in his upstairs
studio through a hole cut into the building.

~ Todd  KA1KAQ