[AMRadio] Re: Value of Homebrew Rigs,

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Thu Jul 6 19:16:05 EDT 2006

Deric Affleck wrote:

> Brian,
>
> The difference is in the name: "Cawlins"! And also the fact there were
> only 150 + 2 prototypes without serial numbers makes  a big difference
> to serious collectors  - law of supply and demand! One time you
> couldn't give a KW-1 away except to those who could read the future
> and knew thar was gold in that thar iron!

It's my understanding that one of the prototypes, while never
*originally* completely assembled, was purchased as a 'basket case' in
San Antonio, Texas by Mike Palmer (then K5FZ) and Darrell Brooks
(WA5VG0).  That rig went on the air, I'm thinking, sometime in July of
around 1989 or 1990.

I know Mike sold his KW-1, I know that Darrell/WA5VGO still has one, but
I don't know what happened to the prototype that the two of them worked
and slaved over, to get it on the air.

Luckily for us, Darrell/WA5VGO is a reader of the list.  Perhaps Darrell
would give us the complete history/rundown of the prototype KW-1?

I remember stories of dust and spider-web covered rigs that were in
Mike's back yard that got attacked with water hoses and Formula 409 shot
to 'em, then dried off in an oven at 150° for a couple of days..  They
all seemed to do alright, though

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,