[AMRadio] Re: Value of Homebrew Rigs,


david knepper collinsradio at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 7 13:36:09 EDT 2006


No message was sent.  Please excuse.


Dave, W3ST
Publisher of the Collins Journal
Secretary to the Collins Radio Association
www.collinsra.com - the CRA Website
Now with PayPal
CRA Nets: 3805 Khz every Monday at 8 PM EST
and 14255 every Saturday at 12 Noon EST
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "david knepper" <collinsradio at adelphia.net>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio" <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Re: Value of Homebrew Rigs,WAS: Stuff for 
sale...update.


>
> Dave, W3ST
> Publisher of the Collins Journal
> Secretary to the Collins Radio Association
> www.collinsra.com - the CRA Website
> Now with PayPal
> CRA Nets: 3805 Khz every Monday at 8 PM EST
> and 14255 every Saturday at 12 Noon EST
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Todd, KA1KAQ" <ka1kaq at gmail.com>
> To: "Discussion of AM Radio" <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 9:19 AM
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Re: Value of Homebrew Rigs,WAS: Stuff for 
> sale...update.
>
>
>> On 7/6/06, W5OMR/Geoff <w5omr at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> I know Mike sold his KW-1, I know that Darrell/WA5VGO still has one, but
>>> I don't know what happened to the prototype that the two of them worked
>>> and slaved over, to get it on the air.
>>
>> According to the list that W0YVA keeps, Darrell still has #66. I think
>> he was one of the guys pictured in the KW-1 issue of Electric Radio
>> that Barry put together a number of years ago, standing there with the
>> transmitter, a National NC-400, with a carved wooden callsign on top.
>> A very good article with a lot of information on the transmitter.
>> IIRC, the prototype you mention was the one used by Art one weekend
>> before it was completed, final assembly being done at his home during
>> dinner. Think that story is also in the ER issue along with the
>> original list of owners started by Ed Bolton, WA3PUN (not K0BS, who
>> took the list over from Ed).
>>
>> Bob's list: http://www.isquare.com/personal_pages/kw1-list.htm
>>
>>> Luckily for us, Darrell/WA5VGO is a reader of the list.  Perhaps Darrell
>>> would give us the complete history/rundown of the prototype KW-1?
>>
>> It's now in Belgium with ON8PO, Mathieu. I seem to remember hearing
>> about this sale a few years back. What's amusing is that Mike is one
>> of the guys in the ER article who said he'd never part with his KW-1.
>> Bill Wheeler (former pres of the CCA) said this also, but sold his to
>> Jim Shoemaker a few years back who then flipped it on ebay. What's the
>> old saying...'never say never'? (o:
>>
>> Collins made some very nice equipment over the years, very high
>> quality and leading edge stuff. Overbuilt for amateur service, really.
>> The major flaw isn't with the gear itself, but in the way some choose
>> to worship it or use it as a means of claiming some perceived
>> superiority. Gives the gear a bad name, but makes it a lot easier to
>> identify the real idiots in the hobby.
>>
>> ~ Todd,  KA1KAQ
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> AMRadio mailing list
>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.html
>> Post: mailto:AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>> AMfone Website: http://www.amfone.net
>> AM List Admin: Brian Sherrod/w5ami, Paul Courson/wa3vjb
>>
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> AMRadio mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.html
> Post: mailto:AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
> AMfone Website: http://www.amfone.net
> AM List Admin: Brian Sherrod/w5ami, Paul Courson/wa3vjb 




More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 21 Oct 2017.