[AMRadio] Aircraft Radio Set QRP

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 10 00:19:52 EDT 2006

>From: W5OMR/Geoff <w5omr at satx.rr.com>

>There have been some OO Notices sent out to people operating SSB in the
>lower part of 160m.  The issuer claimed that there's a 'band plan' on 160m.
>  It was supported up to the enforcement level, and when it was pointed out
>to me (and others) I (and I'm sure others) wrote the enforcement buearu
>saying that there -isn't- such a thing as a 'band plan' on 'Top band'.  I
>think it was all eventually dropped.

I think it would be advisable to adhere to the band plan whenever possible.
If there ever is any hope of curtailing the excessive subband segmentation
that exists under US regulations, hams must demonstrate that we are capable
of cooperating with each other without government intervention.

I don't think it would be a problem to operate phone on the lower end during
daytime when there is little liklihood of causing interference to cw.  But
to operate there under skywave conditions will inevitably attract attention.

That is the reason the 160m cw group (unsuccessfully) petitioned the FCC a
few years ago to establish legal subbands on that band.

Don k4kyv