[AMRadio] Aircraft Radio Set QRP

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Mon Jul 10 00:36:51 EDT 2006

Donald Chester wrote:

>> From: W5OMR/Geoff <w5omr at satx.rr.com>
>

>> There have been some OO Notices sent out to people operating SSB in
>> the lower part of 160m.  The issuer claimed that there's a 'band
>> plan' on 160m.  It was supported up to the enforcement level, and
>> when it was pointed out to me (and others) I (and I'm sure others)
>> wrote the enforcement buearu saying that there -isn't- such a thing
>> as a 'band plan' on 'Top band'.  I think it was all eventually dropped.
>

> I think it would be advisable to adhere to the band plan whenever
> possible.  If there ever is any hope of curtailing the excessive
> subband segmentation that exists under US regulations, hams must
> demonstrate that we are capable of cooperating with each other without
> government intervention.
>
> I don't think it would be a problem to operate phone on the lower end
> during daytime when there is little liklihood of causing interference
> to cw.  But to operate there under skywave conditions will inevitably
> attract attention.
>
> That is the reason the 160m cw group (unsuccessfully) petitioned the
> FCC a few years ago to establish legal subbands on that band.

They, undoubtedly, were the 'squeaky wheel' that was looking to get
'greased'.

Makes no difference to me one way or the other, as I don't have any room
to put up a 160m antenna.  I've listened down there before and signals
(to me) were never strong enough for me to consider them to be
'workable'.  the WA0 station that runs the RAIN report, and NewsLine on
AM is marginal, at best, in the winter time, here.  At least for what
antenna I do have up in the air.

While I say it makes no difference to me, because I can't work 160,
doesn't mean it's not significant to others.  It's always been -my-
impression though, that 'gentleman' operate 160m, and as the epitome of
Ham Radio Operators everywhere, you wouldn't think that there'd be a
need for sub-bands.  As it -should- be, if you hear that the frequency
is busy, move further away.  If you're operating CW, and someone is on
your pre-determined frequency, make contact and move 'em off, so as not
to bother the existing QSO.

Ain't that the way things are -supposed- to go?

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope, is like
driving your car at night, without headlights.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR