[AMRadio] Re: Value of Homebrew Rigs,

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 11 15:48:22 EDT 2006

>From: "Todd, KA1KAQ" <ka1kaq at gmail.com>

>>But then -- you wouldn't be a member of the small group running a KW-1.
>
>It would be nice if more of the collector-owners would actually fire
>them up. I'm a firm believer that bragging rights for a strapping
>signal far outweigh those of a pretty box. There are a number here on
>the east coast that can be heard regularly.

I recall in the 1980's, before they started to bring in such big bux, there
must have been over a dozen KW-1's on the air regularly.  There were several
lists of all the known serial #'s.  IIRC, more than half the ones ever made
were still in existence and accounted for.

Then the owners began to see offers they couldn't refuse, and since then,
most have disappeared off the air and into trophy rooms.  Quite a few have
gone to collectors in Europe and Asia.

Don k4kyv