[AMRadio] Re: Value of Homebrew Rigs,

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 09:27:58 EDT 2006

On 7/12/06, david knepper <collinsradio at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Don't ever begrudge or be envious of those who will spend whatever for a
> nice piece of  Collins.  Many elderly or seniors have the purchasing power
> now that they are retired to buy whatever they wish.  I wish them well in
> their purchases remember, it is their money and  not yours.  Let them enjoy
> the hobby anyway they wish.

I'm a big fan of free enterprise, capitalism, and freedom in general.
Anyone spending their money can do with it whatever they wish. My
remarks deal mainly with those who choose to turn a nice old receiver
or transmitter into a 'piece of (non-functioning) art' instead of
using it as a radio. It really has nothing to do with age, more
mentality. You really can't do much with a Monet other than hang it on
the wall or use it as a beer tray. But IMHO those who get nice old
cars, radios, or whatever else simply for the bragging rights and not
to use and enjoy are better suited to stamps, pantings, or other
inanimate objects that don't require any interaction beyond staring at
them. Besides, it's much more impressive to say "I paid 4 million for
this painting" than to say "I paid 4 thousand for this old radio". Who
beyond other radio collectors would be impressed?

In the end, you can use an SX-88 or KW-1 for a 30.06 target if you
want to, no argument there. I'm far more impressed when someone has a
nice rig and know how to use it than by how much they paid for it.
Even moreso if they can fix it, or built it.

It's strictly my opinion mind you, but I believe more BA folks
appreciate a piece of gear for what it is and can do, not its
potential value as an "investment". Collins gear is some of the best
gear ever made, yet look at how many real 'hands on' radio folks think
less of it because of the ridiculous 'mine's bigger than yours'
collector mentality of a self-absorbed few?

Age isn't the issue as far as I'm concerned. It's attitude. God Bless
anyone who makes it to retirement and actually has money to spend on
whatever they enjoy. There are some in gov't looking for more ways to
take it from you to redistribute to others, so spend it while you can!

Todd, KA1KAQ
Publisher of Nothing Beyond Personal Opinion
Overtaxed and Afflicted with Old Radio Disease
No Website, No PayPal.   (o: