[AMRadio] Re: Value of Homebrew RIgs

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 11:04:07 EDT 2006

On 7/14/06, Merz Donald S <merz.ds at mellon.com> wrote:
> As Todd hints at below, the "hoarders" serve the purpose of keeping good stuff out of the landfill. They hide from us the fact that the supply of some of this gear far exceeds demand. That's a good thing because most often the alternative is the landfill.
> 73, Don Merz, N3RHT

Actually Don, those were Theo's words. But I heartily agree with you
for the 'landfill' reason, as well as the differing views or
descriptions of hoarding. I don't doubt there are some out there who
haul stuff home and pile it somewhere with no idea what it is or no
intention of ever using it, simply because they feel they must, or
can, or whatever. The fact that some old radio folks have more than
others (even a lot more) I don't think qualifies as hoarding.
Oftentimes the ones who label them as such are the guys with one
station set up, who sell any additional gear they get because they
hate the 'clutter'. It's usually more a case of them wanting what you
have, and being envious/jealous/annoyed that they don't. Not always,
but often.

The best thing about ebay or any other venue like a hamfest is that
any individual has just as much opportunity as the next to buy an
item. Timing, or the fact they a person "doesn't want to spend that
much" tend to be the only reasons they don't get an item - not because
the seller or new owner is a crook, hoarder, or bad person somehow. I
can't begin to remember how many things I've wanted but missed because
I lacked the proper funding.

I bet Parker would sell anyone a KW-1. Not at a fire sale price, which
would end up being the sticking point of course. (o: