[AMRadio] computer software service decent

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sat Jul 15 13:16:16 EDT 2006

I recently had the opportunity to spend a few hours on the phone with Microslop's customer service, troubleshooting and fixing a stuck system that kept wanting to install the Office application on CD, even though I had a formerly well running copy. When I put the master disk in the drive, it would still ask for it, and was stuck on this for as long as I tried to reboot, even uninstalled and reinstalled Office (Excel, Word and Powerpoint are the three apps that I use the most at work on PC). The first person to answer was in the East somewhere (maybe India?), and his accent and mine didn't work well, as I was having to give him the key number off the disk - that really long string of numbers and letters separated by hyphens. Finally this first line answerer forwarded me to Nova Scotia where I got a professional, who spent most of the time on the line, working through various attempts at correcting the boo boo. I commented about that silly message that always incorrectly gives
remaining time it will take to install something, and he laughed and said don't pay it any attention. Eventually we got down to the registry being corrupted, so we removed all of the references to Microslop Office, and rebooted, and it fixed the problem.

Pray that their next generation WINDOZE and application software are more stable. Meanwhile I use the Mac OS 10.4 for most important work, and save the PC for webbrowsing and a few dedicated applications to DOS.
73
John
K5PRO