[AMRadio] fs: Delta ASM-1

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sat Jul 22 21:21:38 EDT 2006

I have done what you guys suggest here and it can work properly if packed
properly.  But my problem is that it is a 60 mile round trip from my house
to either a HD or Lowe's.  So I improvise as best possible.  I have a
computer store here and for heavy stuff such as complete transmitters and
receivers I beg the computer monitor boxes.  The ones for the 21 inch are
best.  Then liberal amounts of bubble wrap, also available locally, then
tape each seam and you have it made.

The problem that can occur but hasn't is if you ship in a used box, that is
grounds for any carrier denying a claim.  Cardboard deterioates over time
and handling.  If a box has a ding in it then something new happens, you
loose on a claim.  I read the UPS silte one time about packing for yourself.
On the page directing you how to pack it explained it all including what
type of material for the contents.  Then on another page devoted to claims
it pretty much ruled out paying if you packed the way the first page
described.  Talk about both sides of the mouth.

Years ago I had problems with UPS and switched my commercial account to
FedEx when they were first starting.  I have never had a damaged box or
contents with them.  However, where I live now, they will not pick up at my
door, even for ground.  DHL has, in the past couple of years, has began to
invade the territory and will pick up here.  The pick up charge is 3 dollars
and they are a bit slower than either FedEx or UPS, but the boxes arrive in
good condition.

The unknown for lighter packages is the US Post Office.  They don't charge
for door pick up and require less documentation for claims.  They have never
denied a claim I made, and I have only had two in over 5 years of the many
packages I have sent by them.

Circumstances dictate what I do, unfortunately.

73  Jim
W5JO