[AMRadio] fs: Delta ASM-1

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 24 00:36:21 EDT 2006

>From: "david knepper" <collinsradio at adelphia.net>
>
>Jim, I would highly recommend going to a lumber yard (Home Depot) and buy a
>sheet of styrofoam insulation board.  Cut and form around the unit to be
>shipped.

Or wrap the unit in several layers of plastic wrap, then use aeorsol spray
foam caulking like "Great Stuff" as packing material.  You need to be
familiar with how it expands so that you get the foam to just barely fill
the box after it expands.

It is somewhat of a pain to remove the item from the foam at the receiving
end, but a very secure method of packing.  Just be sure the equipment is
well wrapped so that the liquid foam doesn't contact the item being shipped,
since that could do severe damage.

I would recommend buying an extra can and practising first with a spare
cardboard box and some useless junk to get the hang of it.

I have received a couple of items thru UPS that were packed using this
method, and there was no damage.  The foam absorbs the shock while making it
impossible for the contents to shift around inside the box.

First, spray foam into the bottom of the box, allow it to expand for a few
minutes, then set the wrapped item on the foam, fill in the sides, and
finally the top.

One word of caution - the liquid foam can be extremely messy, so do the
packing in an appropriate area.

Don k4kyv