[AMRadio] Receivers

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Fri Jul 28 23:44:59 EDT 2006

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.  You brought up some interesting points.  The bulk
of my listening activity is on 160, 75 and 40 meters.  I seldom listen
to short-wave broadcasts, so that won't come into play.  As for
fidelity, I'm no spring chicken and my ears are not as sharp as they
once were, (that's a bad place for an audio engineer to be) so I need
clean audio.  I can always process it with outboard equipment to get the
exact sound these old ears prefer.  I have at this time a great old
HQ-180 that I use as my primary receiver.  However, it's more of a
communications receiver than a ham receiver, so it's lacking in areas,
but has beautiful audio.  I also use a National NC-183 that has
fantastic audio.  Even though I have gone through it completely and
spent hours getting the alignment exactly right, it still doesn't
perform as well as I'd like.  I think it's doing all it was designed do,
but that's not enough.

Thanks again for your questions and observations.  In light of my reply,
what would you recommend?

Rick/K5IZ