[AMRadio] Receivers

W1EOF w1eof at hamnutz.com
Mon Jul 31 20:09:41 EDT 2006

Rick,

Considering that EVERYONE should have an R-390, and the fact that you
don't intend on doing a lot of "band cruising" I think you have made
an excellent choice.

Not to sway you because it's an entirely different deal but... Last year
I was ove a buddy's shack and heard his HRO-SR with matching National
speaker for the first time. We were listening to some AM on 160M. It was
hands-down the finest AM reception I've ever heard. I don't want to sound
like one of the audiphool guys but it had a quality to it that was eerie.
It sounded like we were listening to a QSO from 1950. That night the HRO-SR
moved way up on my "Want to have someday" list. Other people have written
me to concur. Seems to have something to do with the wide IFs or something.
I don't know enough about the design to tell you. I can only say that it's
something to behold.

Even with that, I still think you can't go wrong with an R-390 for overall
use. Good luck in your search.

73,

Mark W1EOF

<SNIP>
> I hope to have all three one day, but for now I am hot on the trail of the
R-390.
<SNIP>