[AMRadio] Stepping Relays

doxemf at aol.com doxemf at aol.com
Fri Jun 2 00:10:01 EDT 2006

   When recently going through some of boxes of stuff I saw several rotary stepped switches with Signal Corps
markings. These have a rotary selinoid about 1-1/2' by 1" high with a normal looking centralab style 3 or so position switch section attached. I don't remember the exact mechanism but believe that after the last position the next impulse would return the switch to 1st position since the shaft was spring loaded.
  These appear to have probably been used in the ARC or SCR series period for remote control.
A possible source for simple to complex stepping switches is the old pre digital Pinball machines.
These machines were mostly operated by telephone style and motorized rotary steppers at 24 V AC & DC.
  As a kid I built a neat mechanical adding machine using the rotary score digit indicators and the stepping relays for simple decimal counting.
  Bill  KB3DKS/1