[AMRadio] Stock or modify? BC rig "value" -- Shorting Sticks

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Fri Jun 2 09:40:44 EDT 2006

W5OMR/Geoff wrote:

> Donald Sanders wrote:
>
>> 3 foot 3/4 inch wooden dowel or broom stick. Put a rubber bicycle
>> handle bar
>> grip on one end. Use 1/2 to 1 inch braid 3 to 4 foot long with large
>> alligator(crocodile) clip on one end and the other end soldered to a
>> large
>> nail in the other end. That's how we made them back in the late 50's.
>>

> The one I have, was supplied by John/W5MEU(sk - RIP).  It is a
> phoenelic rod, about 2 feet long, with a threaded peice of metal that
> screws into the phoenolic, has a flat-washer, one end of 1/2" wide,
> stainless-steel clad copper braid, about 4 foot long, attached to the
> rig's front panel, and one of the screws holding in one of the decks.

I must have been tired...

it has a hooked peice of metal rod, that's threaded on one side.  Where
it threads into the phoenolic, is a flat washer against the rod and a
jam-nut to keep it secure.  There's another flat-washer on the nut, then
the one side of the 1/2" braid (which has a mounting flange, with a hole
drilled in it, soldered to the braid) lays on that flat washer, then
another flat washer, a lock-washer and nut, (mil-spec) and the other end
of the braid is secured to the cabinet by one of the mounting screws on
the front of the rig.

Permantly attached, and is still there, to this day.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR