[AMRadio] Shorting stick

John E. Coleman (ARS WA5BXO) wa5bxo2005 at pctechref.com
Fri Jun 2 17:46:18 EDT 2006

This is also true Jim.  This is why I use a VTVM with a 1 meg resistor in
the probe.  I make up a special resistor probe divider network in addition
to this to do measurements of HV with.  I occasionally check the voltmeters
on the front of the transmitter for calibration using this lash up. But it
also makes a very good pre-checker for voltage before trouble shooting.  Of
course if the transmitter is all working correctly and I just want to check
something or make a modification which I do on a regular basis, then I watch
the meters fall when I flip the plate switch off.  After they have reached
Zero volts then I insert the shorting bar or stick to insure that the plate
voltage can't be activated again with out tripping the breaker HIHI.

PS: the bleeder resistors had best be radiating heat after the plate supply
is off or I suspect trouble.

John, WA5BXO