[AMRadio] Shorting stick

Larry Will lhwill at verizon.net
Fri Jun 2 17:58:42 EDT 2006

But thats dangerous in itself.  The resistor could open and wala no
ground and worse you would never know it.  All RCA rigs (and I worked
with klystrons at 20 to 32 kw and PS of 10 amp capable had direct
hard wire shorting sticks with flex welding cable like ground wire in
clear tubing easily inspected and they just do not fail.
No resistors for sure.  All this before the modern lock out tag out
circuits now in regular use.

Then there is the shorting test we did regularly to confirm operation
of the thyratrons (or gas arcs) to shut off the primary before too
many joules got to the tube.  Hardly a spark at 20 kV with the TX running!

Larry W3LW