[AMRadio] Shorting stick

Mike Dorworth, K4XM k4xm at arczip.com
Sat Jun 3 21:38:13 EDT 2006

I am certainly learning here. I always thought of a shorting stick as used
in 1 to 5000 watt transmitters (AM TRANSMITTERS) as a guide to put a well
grounded piece of thick braid on the hv points after every thing normally
done has been done to discharge any remaining stuff lurking about. The
grounded braid at the end of the "broomhandle, is millions of times more
conductive actually BILLIONS of more time conductive the wood. The wood
stored inside a power supply case is not creosoted or soaked in water. I
have no qualms about holding a ground strap  against a normally and supposed
NO VOLTAGE point as a last defense of my life with a three foot or so piece
of dry wood. Use a glass ten foot pole if you wish, I would like to be able
to see how a normal wooden broom handle will not function to guide the
ground point to the test points. It is better than most folks use. I have
seen plastic screw driver handles depended on for this. The broom handle is
a great improvement and way better than nothing. I think that if we as AM
ers take away from all this that it is just cheap insurance to make sure by
grounding supposed NO voltage points it will be worth while. 73 Mike