[AMRadio] ground sticks again

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 5 00:25:25 EDT 2006

>Grounding capacitors can be unfriendly, but lifesaving in the longer term.

Not only unfriendly, but it can ruin the capacitors with excessive
instantaneous current surges.  Better to first discharge through a
resistance to limit the discharging current, then apply the "coup de grace"
by shorting  directly.

Large oil-filled transmitting capacitors are expensive and hard to find.
Like tubes, we need to take extra precautions to preserve them as long as
possible.  I suspect that with the advent of solid state equipment and lower
operating voltages, that HV capacitors in a  few years will be as hard to
find as most transmitting triodes are today.

Don k4kyv