[AMRadio] Previous Text

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 10:31:10 EDT 2006

On 6/4/06, VJB <wa3vjb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> When I told people whom I've recently busted for
> including a distracting amount of previous text in
> their responses, I mentioned how I don't subscribe to
> any reflectors other than this one.

I had a lengthy back and forth with Paul on this and tried to explain
what Geoff and others have said here. I do agree with Paul's premise
that we're all capable of keeping up and reading between the lines,
and in most cases I'm sure that is sufficient.

That someone would actually complain to a list admin about quoted text
being used struck me more along the lines of those who are
disinterested in a particular thread and tell people 'enough, it's
time to move on' just because they're bored. This always struck me as
a bit self-righteous and selfish.

However, over-quoting or simply hitting the 'reply-all' key without
doing any editing as some prefer to do is just plain lazy and rude to
all. I suspect this is where the real problem lies. And of course,
some of us occasional post a reply in haste and forget to delete or
trim. I've been guilty of this, but try hard to do it 'right'.

Which gets back to the initial thrust of defining what is 'right'.
I've never felt terribly comfortable trying to paraphrase someone
else's words by using my own, probably because of getting my head
bitten off for it in the past on some other list, board, or whatever.
I do trim the post down to *only* the relevant sentences for context,
even though it takes more time than just hitting 'reply'. So for me, a
good middle ground for this medium lies between the "none" or "all"
arguments.

I do think most all of us do a very good job of this, although it's
not unheard of to slip. I also believe that Paul's request to be more
concise and paraphrase is a valid one, although like others, I feel
more comfortable using the original poster's own words. Beyond these
words and perhaps the original poster's name or call, I see no reason
for headers or excess text to be included with any reply to a thread.
It's just too easy for it to snowball as the thread grows and more
folks repost the same text over and over. This is not only
distracting, it's very annoying.

And as I also told Paul, this is the best list I've ever been on with
respect to the way we conduct ourselves and treat others. The fact
that Paul and Brian seldom have to slap anyone down or even bring
things like this up, is proof.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ