[AMRadio] Good Hams

Brian Sherrod ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 07:32:34 EDT 2006

> I've got a 450TL and a line on a pair of TH's, but I don't think the
> 750T and the 450T have the same base, but I might be mistaken.  At 450W
> of plate dissapation each, the 450's (if the base is the same) would
> work in the Bartlesville Transmitter (if I'm remembering correctly).

That's probably what I'm going to do.  I've got enough 450t's to do
the job, and I might even just run one in the final, as it's plenty
enough.  I still have the big 849 triodes which I plan to use for the
modulators as did the Bartlesville TX.  I used this exact
configuration in a lash up for some time, mainly to make sure the old
849's were still good.  They are both 69 years old ;)

> Hey, up in your neighborhood (almost) in Shreveport, ol' Ronnie/W5SUM
> (ex WB5AWA) got hisself an RF deck to house a couple of 450T's. Check
> with Ronnie.  Last I knew, he was gathering parts for a home-brewed
> single 450T final, modulated by a pair of 450's.  Since he now has that
> deck, perhaps y'all could work something on homebrewing you up a rig to
> get back on the air with.

Yeah, I've emailed Ronnie a few times about his soon to be transmitter.

> Speaking of which, have you (or anyone) talked to W5NBC lately?  Last I
> heard from him, Jim was in Sour Lake, TX, just west of Beaumont, on
> Highway 105.

I talked with Jim on 3893 two or three times in the last month and he
is doing very well.  Still lives in Sour Lake.  He has been traveling
a lot lately.  Also Kent, KA5MIR is getting things ready to get back
on the air too.  Seems a few of us have taken about a 5 year break
from the radios, and ready to jump back in now.  Until I get the big
tx moved into my shack and wired up, I will be using my new Flex Radio
with a Henry 3K Classic X on AM.  Look for me in about a week late
night or early morning.
 73,
Brian