[AMRadio] Breezeshooters Hamfest--Pittsburgh

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Wed Jun 7 10:37:11 EDT 2006

I probably should say something about going to the Breezeshooters hamfest on Sunday. Breezeshooters is held every year on the first Sunday in June at the Butler County Fairgrounds about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. It is quite often the ARRL Section Convention also and is widely thought of  as the best hamfest in the Pittsburgh area. It certainly is the largest hamfest in these parts.

We took the last load of N3BM's estate there and had it in 3 tables in Building One. I had a bunch of my junk on a table too. N3BM's stuff and mine filled my minivan top to bottom, front to back, plus a Toyota Camry with a rooftop carrier. The goal was to get rid of it at any price. That mission was accomplished. the estate took home another couple hundred bucks and nothing went back. Seven months later, I am finally out of the estate business--what a job that was.

My table was right across from the Pittsburgh Antique Radio Society recruiting table.  I sold a couple hundred bucks worth of miscellaneous junk. So the selling was successful enough.

The WASH club had planned its annual picnic at the hamfest, but the rain changed those plans. I left before the picnic got started. And overall, that was the story of the hamfest--Breezeshooters usually gets great weather but this time the rain kind of washed it out. So it ended early when it seemed like it was going to be a good one.

Stuff I bought: NC-303 with speaker, EFJ power divider, 2 Blue face Eico VTVMs, one Precision multi-master VTVM, Wavetek and ICE function generators, random plug-in coils, six bucks worth of tube sockets, and yet another Heathkit B-1 balun (that makes 4 with only one in use. But I couldn't pass it up for $3).

Stuff I saw: Ranger I with repainted cabinet for $300. R392 with HB PS for $250, Collins 75A1 for $550 (this one was at this hamfest last year), Thunderbolt (didn't ask), AF67/PMR-7 and PS for $225, Apache (didn't ask--it was in scruffy shape), Hallicraftrs Sky Buddy with unoriginal pilot lamp in front panel for $125, BC-348 modified for $150, RME 6900 (I think--didn't ask price), National NC-81X in fair modified condition for $100, NCV-57 in beautiful condition with the external S-meter accessory (I think he wanted $150--not sure), Heathkit Tener for $150, one guy had all these parts rigs--HT-32, DX-60, etc for $40 to $75, 2 SX-71's for $125 each, one of them was nice+--it sold, the usual Drake B-Line, C-Line and TR-series rigs were all there for the usual prices, one guy brought a carload of Collins gear and wanted the sun, moon and stars for it--a KWM-2 was $1400, but it was all awfully nice stuff. There was lots more but it all went by in a blur. Then the rain came.

Seller attendance was down to about 50% of what this hamfest was in its' heyday. Buyer attendance seemed about normal to me. My friend in the club who is a computer guy said he sold about $500 worth of software which I found amazing, but predictable I guess. These events just aren't about boatanchors anymore.

73, Don Merz, N3RHT

If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.(16b)