[AMRadio] Mail Client differences

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Mon Jun 12 11:58:21 EDT 2006

   Although certainly a minority, there are those who do not use OutHouse
Mail or it's clones and/or analogs.  So please don't expect *everyone* to
have nice "Reply To" and "Reply To All" keys like you might.

   Speaking strictly for me, I use good ol' Pine under a Unix shell
account, thus I'm constrained to reading text in ASCII mode, and I can see
whatever a VT100 would have been capable of displaying, and thus it's user
interface, as well.  I have one 'reply' button: the 'R' key. So I
regularly edit the TO: fields, and snip the excess text when replying to
traffic on this List.

   Also, I must separately save and download via FTP, any attachments for
viewing by more modern programs - Pine don't know from .jpgs or .pdfs.

   "Cromagnon Computing.." you might think.  It's the same as when that
Russian Colonel flew his Mig into Heathrow and defected. We all sneered at
the use of extensive vacuum tubes in a 'modern' fighter plane, until the
Russians said "Da, is old technology, very certain. But, after nuclear
blast and EMP - whose planes do you think will still be flyable?"  That
shut a bunch of guys up...  ;}

   So my ancient email client is uttery immune to any virus or spyware,
because it's 7-bit, has no OutHouse Contact List, no Micro$hit Address
List...   That's why I like it, Old Skool and all..

   ObAmRadio: In the middle of a nice QSO Saturday evening, my beloved old
Valiant woofed up something in it's tank circuit and died.  I assume one
of the new capacitors in the 160/80 portion has failed - the other bands
tune and load as normal. So - another trip to the bench for the Old
Girl...  the Joys and Tears of Boatanchor Hamdom.  ;}

Cheers

John  KB6SCO
Carson City  DM09fg
Valiant / Ranger / Elmac AF-67