[AMRadio] Introduction

John E. Coleman (ARS WA5BXO) wa5bxo2005 at pctechref.com
Mon Jun 12 16:20:51 EDT 2006

Hi Conner and welcome aboard.

Please pardon me if I am incorrect in my assumption that you are not an
amateur radio operator and may be only familiar with the hobby.  In either
case you will find this list to be a great group of guys and gals, I think
around 500 in number.

I'm not sure if you understand what this list is about.  We are all amateur
radio operators, builders, experiments, and collectors of junk.  We welcome
anyone that has an interest.  Some of us are also amateur astronomers.  I
have a 12.5 in F6 Newtonian on a 3Ft high EQ mount.  I bought it from W5MEU,
John Mohn about 10 years ago.  I have had a lot of fun with it but it is
quite large and not very portable so I have a 6in F4.5 and on a smaller EQ
mount that I can take apart and put together quickly. I take it to the scout
camps occasionally.  It is always a lot of fun with the younger people.

Among this group, "AM" stands for Amplitude Modulation, the method of
modulation, and little to do with the AM radio and FM radio frequency bands
for listening to commercial programs.  We Amateur Radio Operators will
communicate on various frequencies band allocated by our government and may
indeed use AM, FM, Morris Code, or digital data modes all within the same
area of the radio dial or band allocated to us or we may mix modes across
several bands.

If there is anything at all that you don't quite understand don't hesitate
to ask.  Some one here will surely be an expert on what you may want to
know.  The expertise in various fields of technology located on this list
reflector is always astonishing to me.

John Coleman, WA5BXO
Web page at
http://www.qsl.net/wa5bxo