[AMRadio] Re: upside down reply buttons, sending to whom,

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 12 23:52:22 EDT 2006

John E. Coleman (ARS WA5BXO) wrote:

>This is almost like discussing politics on the air. HIHI
>But I will make a comment here any way.
>
>Dino and Geoff

[much deleted]

>Brian

[... again...]

John, your comments didn't go unread by me... but the way the list is
set up now, I'm fairly certain that only *I* got your reply.

This is what the major crux of the problem is.  Most people, when on a
list, just hit 'reply', and go.  When the list is setup the way it USED
to be, the reply would go to the list.  That's the way a Discussion list
is SUPPOSED to be.. so folks can DISCUSS (in my not so humble opinion).

When you only reply to the sender, who has put something on the list,
then everyone else on the list suffers if someone only replies to the
sender, because the rest of the list can not benifit from the wisdom and
knowledge of someone's reply to a question.

It is for that reason, above most all others, that I say leave the reply
option in the list software, as a reply-to-list function.  If you -need-
to reply to an individual, then click 'reply to all' and that will THEN
include the original sender (as well as the list), and then it's a
simple matter of removing the discussion list address, so that the reply
only goes to the individual, instead of the whole list.  This is handy
in replying to 'for-sale' items.  It also invokes others to reply to a
topic of a circuit design, or schematic differences, or if someone wants
opinions on what chemicals are best for removing 50 years of grime from
a newly-found treasure.   As the list sits now, if someone clicks
'reply', then their reply only goes to the individual who typed that
particular message they are replying to.  To me, this is bad, and does
not promote or invoke thought from the other PARTICIPANTS on the list.
NOT replying to the list, effectivly removes those from being
participants, in a list they chose to sign up for.

There is one disadvantage that I can see... yes, there will be lots of
'repeated' information if quoting is used 'en mass', but learning to
trim up to just a line or two from the previous message, on a particular
point/thought is enough.  So, there will be 'some' repeated text.  But,
let's be real, guys... when you come to the list and you don't check
mail for a day (or a week) and there are a grazillion (like that?  Got
it from W5OD :->) messages to go through, at least I, personally, need a
little reminder of what that partcular conversation was about.  Not
much.  Perhaps one or two lines, just for a 'refresher' (damn this CRS!)

I think that the default list option should be "Reply To List".

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR