[AMRadio] Re: upside down reply buttons, sending to whom,

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 10:04:18 EDT 2006

On 6/14/06, W5OMR/Geoff <w5omr at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:

> You wish that the replies go to the list, because you want everyone to
> see/help with advice?

Yes and no. I give credit to the folks who post and share info that
they will continue to do so regardless of how it is set up. If you or
I post a question to the list, I believe 99.9% of those who
participate regularly (meaning, the ones who do more than trying to
slip in an ebay ad, sell their TS-940 or threaten to leave, but are
otherwise inactive) will continue to reply to the list. The fact that
this is a friendly, even humorous list is the reason why. I belong to
other lists where many folks reply in private because they don't want
to deal with the New Age experts who pick apart everything they say or
insist that a duck be called a non-goose. Many good people want to
help, they just don't want to deal with the list BS as a consequence.
This list is inviting, not stifling. We make folks want to chime in,
not fear that they will be rebuffed or humiliated if they do.

And I wouldn't post advice in private not only because I agree with
you that the purpose of the list is to share, but also because my
advice (like spelling) always benefits from more views and
critiques/corrections. My choice of words may have been misleading by
implying that if I was sure of everything I said, I wouldn't bother.
Not so. It's just an added benefit to have others correct me the same
as it is when you correct John's spelling. (o:

So yes - I believe that replying to the list is the 'right' or best
way to participate, but no - I don't think it should be forced. In our
case, I think the forced 'reply' to the list ends up dumping a lot
more unrelated stuff to everyone than it includes. Folks here are just
better than that. AMers love to be heard at least as much as they love
to buzzard away.

73, Todd  KA1KAQ