[AMRadio] Heathkit DX-100

TChesek at Epix.Net tchesek at epix.net
Mon Jun 19 11:16:53 EDT 2006

I just acquired a Heathkit DX-100 for repair/restoration for personal use and am looking for a few resources. I need a red knob for the 6146 grid drive. There is also a piece of the VFO dial broken out. If I can't find a replacement it is not a big deal because the rest of the dial is in decent condition, but if I had a better one I would use it. The face plate of this radio is also only in fair condition. Has anyone come across a source for replacements like I've seen on eBay for SB-200's and HW-16's? Lastly, without going to the paint store for custom mixing has anyone picked up the two shades of grey paint for the cabinet? Again, if not it is not a big deal. I'm sure these grey colors should be fairly easy to match or come close to.

I'm looking for comments also on the antenna loading circuit. The original coarse/fine arrangement has been replaced with a 3 section variable that measures 1100 pf to 2920 pf using my ECG Capacitance meter. The DX-100 article in the June ER Magazine makes reference to Heath's modification using a 3 section variable totaling about 1200 pf. The original circuit switched in 200, 400, 600, or 800 pf and then used a 250 pf variable allowing matching of 50-600 ohms. Since I will be using unbalanced (coax) does this value seem appropriate and what might I expect?

This transmitter also has been modified for use with a SB-10. The modification is done nicely with the 0B2 tubes mounted underneath and a rotary switch on the front panel on the right side providing a geometric balance to the meter switch. The only negative to this mod is the way holes were hacked in the rear cabinet screen material for the SO-239's.

I thing it is well worth the $49 I paid on eBay. The seller lives near my brother who picked it up and met me at a family anniversary party this weekend saving shipping charges.

73,

Tom K3TVC