[AMRadio] boat anchors heathkit etc

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Fri Jun 23 10:28:15 EDT 2006

A small quibble...the light bulb thing is great. But if you're in this hobby, you need a variac and you need to always use it to bring up anything that is unknown.

Going beyond that, my experience is that cap reforming seems to work best when the cap is reformed without a load on it--not using the rig as the power source. I am often to lazy to do this, but I think the right way to do it is to use a Sprague TO-series cap checker (or regulated DC supply, etc.) to apply a varying DC voltage while watching the current flow, keeping it at 1ma or less. As the current falls on the meter, you can increase the voltage until you are at or above the rated voltage of the cap. Then you can see the leakage right on the meter and you know how the cap is behaving under power.

If you have the time and the gear, I think that's the right way to do it. But I frankly don't usually take the time required and just bring the radio ups lowly over a period of 1-10 hours on a variac.

73, Don Merz, N3RHT