[AMRadio] Reusing Guy Grips

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Fri Jun 23 19:59:26 EDT 2006

Once upon a time (this sounds like the beginning of a fairy tale), I had a
125 ft. tower at a building I owned.  The guy wires that supported it had
guy grips also.

One day a tower guy who had another job that required him to come by my shop
wandered out and looked at the tower.  He came back in to report one of the
guy wires was beginning to loosen.

I asked him to repair the tower and do what was necessary to prevent a
failure.  He replace the guy wire and grip that was the root of the problem.
He told me that he did not reuse any portion of a system that showed signs
of failure.

So, I would say, replace the one that you must remove to repair the
insulator.  Inspect all the wires and if you see any other problems, replace
them if more than that one show signs of weakness.  That would mean having a
new set on hand when you do the repair.

73  Jim
W5JO