[AMRadio] watt meter

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Wed Mar 1 17:24:03 EST 2006

I have a Bird 4411 which uses one slug for 2-30 Mcy.  The meter has a switch
that will change the power scale from 10 watts to 10K watts.

It is not a true peak meter but there is a formula that derives it in the
book.  The 4411 is a 4410 with provisions for AC input, the 4410 is 9V
battery powered only, I think.  The drawback to these meters is you usually
find the meter without the slug, and the meter is expensive.  I have seen
them at hamfests, but the slug is hard to find and very expensive.  It is
accurate to 5% of full scale.

As for the diodes most any matched diodes would probably work.  Seems as if
the Drake MN 2000 had 1N295 or some such.  Someone with a manual could
check.  Get a handful of the NTE replacements and match them, they are
inexpensive.

73  Jim
W5JO