[AMRadio] watt meter

John E. Coleman (ARS WA5BXO) wa5bxo2005 at pctechref.com
Thu Mar 2 10:44:12 EST 2006

The Best measurement I ever got was using a dummy load of know resistive
accuracy.  I used a new "Cantenna" from heath kit.  I said "new" because if
over heated once they can change resistance.  The older one seemed to be
better.  Anyway, I removed the little box cover on the top and stripped out
the circuitry in it.  Then I mounted a 7 pin socket in the top cover of the
box. Plugged in a 6AL5 and connected a plate to the top connection of the 50
ohm resistor dummy load brought the filament wires out to a 6.3v XFMR and
connected to corresponding cathode to the RCA phono plug that was on the
side of the little box.  I then bypassed the cathode connection with a .01uf
ceramic capacitor rated at 1000v and no bleader.

	The theory is that the 6AL5 diode has very little plate to cathode
capacitance (used a lot in the older RF probes by HP).  It provides a very
accurate rectification of the RF and will charge the capacitor to a very
accurate peak of the RF voltage.  The DC voltage can be measured by any good
accurate DC voltmeter and will be a representation of the peak RF.

Calculation as follows:

Convert the measured DC to RMS of RF by multiplying time 0.707

Power formula

(Erms * Erms) / 50ohms = Power

Somebody check me on this, because it has been awhile, but I think this all
reduces to

Epeak squared divided by 100

(DC * DC) / 100 = Power

 I have checked this all the way up to 10 meters against several of the bird
watt meters owned by FCC commercial licensed companies doing TYPE acceptance
checks.  It is as accurate as the dummy load and voltmeter that you have.

GL,73
John, WA5BXO