[AMRadio] FM transmitter

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 3 23:03:45 EST 2006

>From: "Brian Carling" <bcarling at cfl.rr.com>

>(This actually refers to the British licensing of radio and TV
>receivers. Both require a license and they actually go around
>in vans to "ctach" and punish persons listening without a license!)

I have been told that those vans were purely "psychological warfare" and had
no real means to detect receiving equipment.  It was a scare tactic to
frighten the public into thinking they had better purchase a licence.

I suppose they could monitor TV sweep oscillator or local oscillators in
superhets, but with hundreds of sets operating in a city environment it
would have been difficult to pinpoint an "unlicensed" one.

When I lived in France they had a similar law.  But I went to a fleamarket
and picked up an old 1930's vintage "tombstone" longwave/MW/SW broadcast
receiver and used it, and nobody ever said anything.  I remember it was
quite a novelty amongst tenants in the apartment building, because most of
them had never before seen one of those old radios actually work (this was
in the early 70's).

Don k4kyv

like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/