[AMRadio] Re: 51J3 or 75A3 ?/neither

Ka9p at aol.com Ka9p at aol.com
Sat Mar 4 17:44:37 EST 2006

I got to toss in my 2 cents at this point.

I agree with everyone that likes the LC IF'd Collins better than the MF
variety.  Years ago when the price on 75s3's bottomed out, I bought one, converted
it to a C, and crystalled and filtered it up for short wave broadcast
listening.  After a lot of listening, it was pretty clear that the IF cans that you
bypass when you put the 6 kc filter in sounded just a whole lot better than the
filter, and I yanked the filter.  Brett is right, that's still a very nice AM
receiver set up, and its one of the few that's not come and gone here.  The
Kiwa filters might sharpen it up a bit over the stock transformers and might be
the best solution of all.  I just find the crystal and mechanical filtered
stuff too harsh.

I had a J4 next to my J1, 2 and 3, and except for the improved selectivity,
much preferred any of them over the J4.  And I expect the others all sound
different or can sound different depending on how you tune the IF transformers
(staggered or not), at least that was my experience with a 75A2 and the J2.

But its all good :)

73 Scott