[AMRadio] 51J3 or 75A3?

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 4 18:49:02 EST 2006

>I also concur on the general coverage version over the ham band only, but
>again, it's a personal choice.

To me the biggest drawback to the 51J series is the 500 kc/s i.f.  It is
much more difficult to find mechanical filters for them, although a few
years ago I checked out the Collins/Rockwell website, and they still make
them in a wide variety of selectivities.  The impedances are way too low for
tubes; the modern ones are designed to go into solid state equipment, but it
shouldn't be too difficult to use stepdown/stepup transformers to make them
match.  That's what's inside the Curry replacement 75A4 filters advertised
in Electric Radio.

Don K4KYV

like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/